Sunday, August 3, 2008

Coca-Cola in Coffee County

Yesterday I drove down to Decherd, TN near Winchester in order to pay a visit to my best friend who just moved back from Utah. She's living at her in-law's house along with her husband, two babies, and dog. Needless to say- she needed an escape plan for the day and I was more than willing to oblige her by driving down and whisking her away to the nearby town of Tullahoma.

We have a tradition of driving to Tullahoma and making a stop at the discount shoe store Marti & Liz, followed by stops at Sweet Aroma Cafe and various antique stores in the historic downtown area.



Sweet Aroma Cafe is a cool little retro cafe located inside what used to be the Coca-Cola bottling and distribution plant for Tullahoma now known as the Coker building. The Coker building is a cool 1930s Art Deco building with huge glass windows originally intended to show off the bottling functions of the plant. Now it houses Sweet Aroma cafe and some other shops, with Silver Mine being one of our favorites for its beautiful, yet affordable jewelry. At the cafe, I ordered a delicious ham and cheese sandwich (with an ice-cold Coca-Cola of course!) and Rachel and I split an iced sugar cookie covered in chocolate sprinkles.



I didn't end up making any purchases, but Rachel found a cool World War I bayonet that she bought her husband for their 11th anniversary. Although I love my hometown of Nashville, its nice to get away every once in a while to a small town located off the beaten path for some good ole' rest and relaxation.

No comments: